Saturday, October 11, 2014

Busy Mama Healthy Bean Soup

1 pkg Hillshire Farms Smoked Turkey Sausage (like kielbasa), chopped
1/2 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic
1 box chicken broth, 32 ouunces
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 12.5 ounce can chunk chicken breast
All bean cans are 15.5 ounces, and all should be drained:
2 cans Great Northern, 2 cans Navy, 2 cans Cannellini (white kidney beans)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke

Saute onion, garlic, sausage in olive oil.  Lower heat, add chicken broth.
Add black pepper and garlic salt, bring to boil.  Add carrots.  Cook until just softened slightly.
Add chicken and beans.  Reduce to a simmer, and cook until carrots are cooked through.

Fat content: There are 36 grams of total fat in the entire pot, 10.5 of which are saturated fat.  I cooked it in a very large Dutch oven.  I would estimate that there are about 12 servings in the pot. This number is NOT including the olive oil.  The olive oil would add another 2 grams of saturated fat to the pot.  Which means each serving has 1 gram of saturated fat. You could reduce it by reducing the onions and garlic with the chicken broth.

Total cost at my Walmart (minus seasonings, onion and garlic):  $11.93

I love bean soup, I love butter, and I love bacon. . . .but they don't love me or my wallet!


No comments:

Post a Comment